.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Monday, April 03, 2006
 
Surprise.
This has all been a surprise. I suppose each person drifts along thinking that people who read and comment are mostly rather like they are themselves. Like hearing their voices in your head speaking with your own accent.

Is it just an English thing? Not only do everyone around me and especially my own family speak 'bluntly' most of the time .. but they also use sarcasm constantly. If ANYONE used the kind of over-the-top 'wet' syrupy tones that I have been seeing in comments elsewhere lately then we would assume that they were joking. I don't go around being 'bracing' or 'blunt' as some kind of lifestyle choice or to be different. It is totally NORMAL here.

Also .. fuck it .. I am stunned that it is apparently beyond the pale to make ONE irritable, sarcastic comment ONCE in three years to someone you have felt quite close to. And that it is preferable to be a sugar-coated weirdo who talks like a cheap greetings card. (Nothing about Bunny was particularly sparked off by anything here BTW .. it has been simmering around the place for weeks).

You may be amazed to hear that I couldn't care less what people say in their comments here if it is what they really think. People who I already know and respect, obviously, which is everyone who HAS been a regularish commenter in fact. What is the point of always being kind and caring (or silent) if that isn't what you feel about something I said. I'm sure it may not be mutual but I actually like you both so much more for being upfront about the Jo thing. It makes me feel at home. And it is useful and .. well all right .. just useful .. to know how things come across to readers in far off lands.

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger