.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Thursday, March 30, 2006
 
Mental
I think this shows how assumptions are so often wrong .. and how difficult it really is to assess people accurately from their writing. A commenter somewhere else dismissed something I wrote about mental illness by saying that I obviously wouldn't know what I was talking about as I was English. And that the understanding of psychiatry etc. here and the willingness to use it are many, many years behind America ... especially if you are some random person like myself.

Funnily enough ... my father was a major figure in the mental health world and my childhood was populated by many famous and distinguished doctors and medical writers. I constantly heard the latest ideas discussed and talked to all sorts of people .. of various ages .. who had been treated in different ways. Even now the famous 'Television Psychiatrists' and 'A doctor writes' people are usually acquaintances of mine.

So I am really tempted to say something aggressive back .. but instead I will just write this here.

Comments:
That's SO English of you.

But it's okay, we forgive your back-asswards near-savagery...
 
Or you could email me.

The world of mental health treatment has leaped light years in the last several decades.

One thing you should bear in mind is that you have never viewed the world through the eyes of one who suffers from this particular brain disease. I have it, I'm now stable, and I have educated myself with everything at my disposal. I'm doing great. Several years ago I wasn't. I know how the process works, from the inside out.

Since you seem to appreciate frankness, I will be frank with you. It is entirely possible that all the experts you know are not as expert as they think they are.

And what needs to be said to a bipolar who HAS achieved stability is not the same as what needs to be said to one who has NOT. I'm interested in making sure Jo stays alive. Period.

Bunny (who won't login to Blogger because I don't want you at my blog. Nothing personal.)
 
As if anyone can't google for 5 seconds and find bunny's blog???
 
Maybe this is going beyond parody? 'The experts that I know may not be as expert as they think they are'. Err.. okay. I will bear that in mind.
 
Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger