.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Thursday, June 30, 2005
 
Warmer.
I have just had a week of weather hell. If Southern England is becoming more like the Medit3rran3an, then it is not any part that I have ever been to. There have been constant massive thund3rstorms combined with rain like you have never seen .. the word 'awash' is an understatement. It has finally moved off Northwards this morning - just in time for my son's end of year b@ll, crucial parts of which are outside. I suppose crouching in a collapsed tent with lightening flickering over your terrified features is a seriously bonding experience ... years later .. how we laughed. Oh .. I am so sorry it is going to be ruined I can hardly bear it.

The first storm, 'The most severe in living memory', according to the local paper, happened unusually when I was not alone. My daughters were here and we all suffered through an entire night of major noise and terror, with the lights flicking on and off constantly until the electricity died for eight hours. Then they left. Since then there has been a passing storm of one level or another hanging around infuriatingly every day. With the sky going purple and a weird wind rising so I rush around hysterically shutting windows and beating the bushes for cats to drag in to safety. And it moves across, ponderously, several hills away - encouraging me to re-open everything just in time for a surprise silent cloudburst to begin again.

Until yesterday when I had already become so blase (with an accent) that when it all went dark in mid-afternoon, I did absolutely nothing. 'Well, f.ck YOU', the storm obviously thought. After one teeny far-off rumble only, a vast white light flashed straight past my window with the sound of loud CRACKLING and a blast of thunder as if from M0rd0r came straight after it. I threw myself into bed and right under the covers for extra safety and just crouched there until it was all over. There had been a news item about a boy being electr0cuted through his Pl@yst...n handset only the day before and I lay there like an unbelievable coward afraid to go downstairs and investigate. I lifted the sheet an inch to see if I could smell burning fur. I wasn't sure. The fact is that my favourite cat has, for some months, lived on the ykS box, intricately festooned with all the house's TV entry cables AND the whole thing had been left on. I wrestled with myself, mentally, and realised to my shame that I was not leaving the bed until the storm was over, even if the box had been struck. I still can't believe it ...

When I finally lurked down, she was asleep in front of the Ag@ for once and hadn't been on the TV at all. To punish me for my failings, however, the gods had directed the lightening to strike the aerial and all channels were grey and jumpy. As perfect reception is the only thing which the entire family agrees on as a top priority for living, I rang the 'man' immediately. Well, the next day. 'Now, my dear', he said 'I won't be getting to you until next week'. 'What!', I moaned 'Aren't I the only one then?' 'No, no', laughing, 'Dozens of calls I've had. Aerials down all over the place and if they're not down .. they've been SIZZLED'. 'Okaaay. Next week then'. Ars3.

So ... no television for the foreseeable future. There isn't actually much to watch at this time of year although B1g Br0th3r had reached a cliffhanger. Maybe I could have an open line to my children's flat and LISTEN to my favourite programmes ... or would that be really sad? Anyway, its been a useful life lesson - next time it is a choice between cowardice and bravery I will take the Fr0d0 option. I should have known by now that the gods are totally predictable - he who abandons a cute furry animal to its fate will be denied the sight of the most nail-biting eviction night of the series ... obviously.

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger