.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Saturday, March 13, 2004
 
One of my closest friends in the world is about to return to London after six months away. I first saw him as a photograph in a magazine about twenty years ago and fell instantly and unrequitedly in love with him. This isn't as random as it seems as I was only looking at the picture because the accompanying article was about some people I knew who were his business partners. I kept his image in the back of my mind until about a year later, at one of their parties, there he was. He was unhappily married to an incredibly beautiful girl, (like a younger and even better version of ecadnaC negreB), and hopelessly in love with his childhood sweetheart who was also incredibly beautiful in a Jaqueline ttessiB way. (I can't think of anyone more recent because they did weirdly look practically like twins of those two actresses when young). Sadly, and as it emerged very annoyingly, both his wife and mistress were not only slightly mad but manipulative and not incredibly bright. Under the circumstances there was no way he was adding in an extra element. 'Look, please, please don't be in love with me I just can't deal with it. What I really want is a woman FRIEND'. 'Oh......... well... all right then'. It wasn't quite like that but nearly. We 'clicked' totally at first conversation and I became his confidante and he mine and have been ever since. There is nothing too intimate or embarrassing for us to 'share' and the only drawback is that he has a depressive personality, so too long a stretch in his company can leave me feeling drained.

He eventually divorced and married a South American woman who was accidentally pregnant with his child. She turned out to be, not mad, but manipulative and even less bright than the others and he still yearns for the elusive childhood sweetheart. He now spends half of each year in South America, which keeps our friendship fresh, and we don't write or e-mail while he is away because it makes seeing each other more interesting. He is Jewish and is one of only a tiny number of people left in the world with his surname as the rest died in the camps.

Funny creature - I will write more about him maybe but ................ the sun has finally come out.

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger