.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Thursday, January 29, 2004
 
I have just realised why I enjoy 'blog world' so much. The people that I read the most all combine intelligence, cool and an appreciation of stupid stuff. The only friends that I have in true life who are like that are my own children. Which is why I spend so much time with them. My friends of my own age are either clever and interesting but in a dry way or cool in a rather pretentious way and, in fact, none of them like stupid stuff. We, (my children and me), have a little test. 'Do you think this is funny? My son has a friend whose father is called Igor'. 'Errr... does that mean that he is foreign?'. ' NO. You have failed the stupid stuff exam' - as normal amongst my acquaintance. We also have a life size cardboard Buffy, (dressed classically in black sweater and trousers), standing in the corner of our kitchen. She was unwrapped as a birthday present several years ago and left where she stood and our eyes no longer take her in, partly as she looks a bit like my eldest daughter. Every single friend on first seeing her has said, 'So - who is that then, ha ha?' 'IT IS BUFFY!!'. (Could they be joking?'). 'Sorry.....Buffy?'. They weren't. And this includes my husband.

I would like to say here that we saw the original Buffy film when it first came out on video about ten years ago and immediately 'just knew'. We bought the video instantly and watched it over and over and then followed the series from beginning to end including reading the magazine. This is not including my husband obviously. Why would I feel like this when no friends of my age here do? It is actually rather odd and lonely. At parties I can talk for hours to twenty-year-olds about a variety of things that really interest us far more easily than to people of fifty. Is this very, very sad? But what can I do about it?

Also - is yrreT ttehctarP popular in America? I used to love him but now he is rather written out - he still has his moments, however.

One of my cosiest memories is from the year when I was teaching my son at home, (he was 12), and in the winter we lived totally in my bedroom. Which is big with a view down the valley and the only proper heating and contained a vast TV. 'adleZ' had just come out and for weeks he played it obsessively and got me hooked watching. Every night I would drowse while a small figure still crouched on a cushion at the end of my bed, fingers flickering as he galloped back towards the town at dusk. The sound of the ocarina finally lulling me to sleep. Oh, happy times.

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger