.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Monday, November 17, 2003
 
On the local news today they said that they have found the body of a teenage girl who has been missing for a week. She had set off to catch the morning bus to college from her house on the moor, which meant a half mile walk down a charming country lane. The man they have arrested, (and it is obviously him), is the bus driver.

You have no idea how nasty that is. We get a lot of 'weather' around here and it is always cheerful and reassuring to come round a corner on a lonely road in the mist and meet a small, red bus with a smiling middle-aged driver who waves at you.

It reminds me of a story that my father used to scare me with when I was young. It was called 'The Woman Running on Salisbury Plain'. One night a man was driving his horse and cart across Salisbury Plain when a woman came running up to the road out of the darkness. 'Oh my God. Please, please help me', she cried. 'Of course, my dear, get up on the cart and tell me what's the matter'. She got on and he whipped up the horse to a fast pace. 'Now what's wrong'. 'It was this man. I was walking home when he loomed up out of the fog. He was wearing a cloak and when I said 'Good Evening' he pulled the hood aside and ... HE HAD NO FACE'. The driver turned to her. 'You mean ..... LIKE THIS?'.

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger