.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Sunday, November 23, 2003
 
The last series of Oz is about to start here. My son and I discovered it by chance late at night two series ago and have watched it obsessively ever since. Anyone else passing the TV always says,'Oh gross. How CAN you watch that'. The untrained eye has no inkling of the perfection of the characterisation, the subtlety of the interwoven plotlines and the endless capacity for thrills and surprise. Nudity? What nudity? The only crap episode, as usual, was the one dealing with the UK. Why do Americans always portray English people as 1920s moronic aristocrats, 1920s Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins cheery working-men with bizarre accents, or hateful, icy criminals? The Irish, as in Oz, are naturally shown as heroic 'freedom fighters'. We particularly liked the character's oft repeated cry of ,'Don't send me back to England to be hanged'. The Death Penalty was abolished here what ... about 40 years ago.

Moving on............ I feel that I can hardly bear to watch this series without knowing who is going to die. Please, please don't let it be Keller or, Oh no, not Cyril. It has to be one of them. Is there anybody out there who could put my mind at ease? ( Or even not at ease - I would prefer the truth to the hideous suspense).

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger