.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Iris
Thursday, November 13, 2003
 
I used to read Betty MacDonald's books when I was younger as they were my mother's favourites but they are mostly out of print, sadly. She wrote in the 50's mostly, about her own life in a very amusing way. One of the books 'The Egg and I' was made into a rather dull film. I liked 'Onions in the Stew' best, which was set on Vashon Island. One of her main characters was her sister, Mary, who was wild and eccentric. Mary wrote her own book 'The Doctor Wears Three Faces' (by Mary Bard), but it was nowhere near as funny as her quiet sister Betty's work. I know that Betty died quite young but not any details or what happened to her family.

Because I have spent a lot of time alone in spooky houses over the years, I have a selection of cheerful, undemanding books that I can turn to when there are strange tapping noises or howling outside. Betty MacDonald is perfect for that.

Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger